Construction of bathroom facilities has begun in Mano Amiga Monterrey, thanks to our generous donors!
Children, teachers and staff will return to school this fall with a newly-constructed bathroom facility. Our Executive Director, Deacon Rick Medina, shown to the left with students, visited our school in Monterrey last year, making a commitment to provide the expanded bathroom services for this school community. Nearly 1,000 students have been sharing one facility! We thank our CWM family for making this important project happen for Mano Amiga Monterrey.
Learn More About Our Featured Schools:
Santa Maria Bello, Antioquia Fila de Mariches Sao Paulo Taguig Monterrey
Zipaquira, Cundinamarca Fila de Turgua Tapachula
Current Featured School: Mano Amiga Tapachula- Chiapas, Mexico
Tapachula is in the state of Chiapas, where about 75% of people live in poverty. Most residents farm for a living, speak an indigenous language and 18 out of every 100 persons cannot read or write. Most people in this state drop out of school after the 7th grade.
Mano Amiga Tapachula has been giving a leg up to families in this poor area since 2006, providing just about every student with a scholarship. An impressive 90% of parents participate in school activities, including sacraments and parenting classes.
Tragically, many students have been forced to leave the school after 8th grade, due to lack of high school classrooms and resources. The options for these adolescents are very limited; many of them drop out of school as opposed to making the transition to pubilc high school.Teachers are devastated to see this happen to the students they have nurtured academically and spiritually.
Administrators at Mano Amiga Tapachula have put together plans for a two-classroom high school facility to allow students to complete their education at the school. Some students have already moved into highschool and are studying at a temporary facility off campus.
Catholic World Mission is actively engaged in a campaign to help fund a high school classroom plus supplies for a computer and science lab.
See our Hand of an Angel campaign page here to learn more about how you can help!
Current Featured School:Santa Fe de La Laguna- Chiapas, Mexico
In the beautifully historic state of Michoacan in Mexico, the large majority of families are indigenous to the land. Along with dozens of dialects, culture and physical beauty, lies a tremendous amount of poverty. Employment options are few for most people in this area.
Teachers here have a unique challenge of bridging cultural gaps and engaging families in tools to help bring them out of generational poverty. While they make do on little at Mano Amiga Santa Fe de la Laguna, a boost is needed. Catholic World MIssion is helping with several needs, including computers, blackboards, and a security camera to make the school operate more efficiently and securely.
All Mano Amiga Locations:
- 1963 Zomeyucan, Edo. de México, MEX.
- 1964 Tizapán, Distrito Federal, MEX.
- 1974 Monterrey (La Boquilla), Nuevo León, MEX.
- 1979 León, Guanajuato, MEX.
- 1987 Cualcan Lerma, Edo. de México, MEX.
- 1989 Recoleta, Santiago de Chile, CHILE.
- 1989 Santa Catarina, Nuevo León, MEX.
- 1990 Guadalajara, Jalisco, MEX.
- 1991 La Cima, Nuevo León, MEX.
- 1993 Chalco, Edo. de México, MEX.
- 1994 Torreón, Coahuila, MEX.
- 1994 Filas de Mariche, Caracas, VZLA.
- 1997 Bello, Antioquía, COLOMBIA.
- 1999 Irapuato, Guanajuato, MEX.
- 2001 Acapulco, Guerrero, MEX.
- 2002 Región V, Santiago de Chile, CHILE.
- 2002 Santa Teresa de los Andes, Santiago de Chile, CHILE.
- 2003 Fátima, Buenos Aires, ARGENTINA.
- 2003 San Antonio, La Paz, ES.
- 2004 La Montaña, Fila de Turgua, VZLA.
- 2004 Villas de San Juan (León II), Guanajuato, MEX.
- 2005 Conkal, Yucatán, MEX.
- 2005 Querétaro, Querétaro, MEX.
- 2006 Aguascalientes, Aguascalientes, MEX.
- 2006 Culiacán, Sinaloa, MEX.
- 2006 Puebla, Puebla, MEX.
- 2006 Tapachula, Chiapas, MEX.
- 2006 Sao Paulo, BRA.
- 2007 San Paulo, Brazil
- 2007 Taguig, Phillippines
- 2008 Santa Catarina Pinula, Guatemala
- 2009 Cancun, Mexico
- 2009 Morelia Michoacán, Mexico
- 2009 Santa Fe de la Laguna, Michoacán, Mexico
- 2011 Zipaquira, Colombia